Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jacutinga Birds





This week I found inspiration in the endangered Jacutinga or Black-fronted Piping Guan (Pipile jacutinga). Such a visually arresting bird with such colorful markings and expressive eyes. I couldn't wait to get started!




I started painting this with watercolor but then I felt it needed a little extra pizzazz so I dripped some ink onto the damp surface and loved the way the ink formed a criss-cross pattern like a batik.



Also I'm very excited because my friend Vicki who writes a fun, stylish blog called Honest Mum has featured my cushions on her blog. She and her sons are the perfect models against my colorful cushions that will make your room POP! Do go over and check out her feature and enter the competition to win the cushions here.

Linking up to Paint Party Friday!

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic work again! I LOVE those birds! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what an amazing bird! Your painting captures their beauty perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous birds! I have never heard of them but you did a great job painting them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE your illustration of those unique birds Emma! And hooray for having your pillows featured on your friend's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific painting of these unusually coloured birds and I love the way you used the ink to create a batik effect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific painting of these unusually coloured birds and I love the way you used the ink to create a batik effect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have learned something new Emma! I have never heard of these wonderful birds. You have painted them beautifully. Your work translates wonderfully to textiles too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never heard of these birds but they are quite pretty. You really caught the image of them, and congrats on your cushions making your friend's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never heard of these birds but they are quite pretty. You really caught the image of them, and congrats on your cushions making your friend's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am not familier with the Jacutinga, but I have to say your painting is exquisite ... as are your pillows and your friend and her son pop on thier sofa with the pillows. Wonderful post ... my first visit here ... hope to see you again soon :)

    Andrea @ From The Sol

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have to admit I have never seen birds like these before, they're lovely and your drawing of them. I popped over to your friends blog and yes, your cushions look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those birds are beautiful, your painting is even better. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your birds are fantastic, ink was a clou! Beautiful work indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautifully done! I have never even heard of this bird before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your birds move on the paper!!! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I agree, the ink added at the end pulled the painting together. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this is fun. without the photo - it looks like a bird, within different frames.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for sharing such beautiful and interesting paintings with us. If you are visiting this site in a time of sorrow or bereavement of a loved pet, then we reach out to you with our greatest respect.

    pet memorial websites

    ReplyDelete