Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Futuristic Cats




I woke up this morning feeling like I wanted to paint a watercolor. But I was not in the mood for soft washes or dreamy pale colors. Today I felt like layering stark creamy pigments onto my paper. Somehow my brush craved to be dipped in orangey, firey red. So often painting with watercolor the pigment does not stay strong enough for my liking. Or when it dries the hotness of the red fades the way a leaf's color fades when you press it between the pages of a book.

I was inspired by the cats in the photo above who are called Taffy and Sully. The photo has an otherworldy, unearthly quality - maybe a green filter was used or maybe the sunlight hit these cats in such a way as to create this lovely ethereal effect.

I have always loved the German Expressionists and Der Blaue Reiter. So maybe I got some inspiration from them ...

Three Cats by Franz Marc, 1913


In the end my cats turned out pretty interesting. I didn't want to overwork it so I left them in their futuristic world. Maybe they are peering out from beneath a glass dome on Mars ......

Taffy and Sully, 22 x 30", Watercolor


21 comments:

  1. gorgeous picture you are very talented

    kate urban hounds

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- gorgeous work! Your colors are rich and wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sublime..very dreamy, ethereal...love the glowing sense of light fashioned into the colorful blending of brushstrokes..exquisite! Such beauties and very atmospheric effects..totally fantastic! Happy PPF!
    Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice painting. I admire someone who can create a good work of art in one sitting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these. Even though I love animals, and am a cat person, I am not usually attracted to paintings or pictures or sculptures of domestic pets. But I love this style. very cool. Thank you for your comment and opinions on my post today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your futuristic cats, really fantastic! Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  7. loving this wonderful style of painting, superb. Happy PPF, Annette x
    http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. great paintings on here..love the demos too

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and interesting....love this style!
    Wonderful work! Happy ppf!

    Hugs Giggles

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful! I think your result is fantastic. Soft and colourful and I love the reds and greens together :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i love how you painted the 2 cats, very soft and sureal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your loose brush work on the two cats! So wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, interesting piece! Love the looseness and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, they're beautiful! I love the addition of blue in the corners of the eyes - and loved that you went with the colors your brush dictated ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Omigoodness! I love it! Like looking through a skylight ...
    www.dogtreatweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Excellent! I love the way this turned out:-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful I am impressed :-)

    Have an artastic week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cool. That is very impressive. I liked how you showed the photo first and then your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are so talented! Love it :)
    http://www.howtosurvivelifeinthesuburbs.com/2013/10/a-new-promise-to-myself-ww.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. A beautiful cat painting that expresses the softness of their fur and the warmth of their bodies, and has such a dreamy effect. Your artistry is wonderful.
    Thank you for your kind comment on my blog post - much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for providing such a wonderfull information. I am learning so much [The information you provided about has been very helpful . I want to learn everything that I can and what you provided will help to get me started.We provide Pennie's Pet Portraits inc Pennie Cunliffe-Listerin Eastbourne, East Sussex.artists who will paint, draw, embroider and felt beautiful portraits of your cat, dog or other beloved pets to keep for yourself, for more details visit Visit Pet Portraits Inc Pennie!

    ReplyDelete